Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Disaster Preparedness

I recently came across the reality show Doomsday Preppers on the National Geographic Channel.  I have to admit I was hooked well for a hour or so.   Some people take this to the extreme - or so it seems anyway. However, It made me stop and think.  I thought about what I would have or do if I suddenly had no power for more than a few hours.  I would have no water, no can opener, no stove, no microwave. I have a family and just to be safe I started taking a few simple precautions.  Not building an underground shelter but setting a side a few simple supplies in case my family and I should need them.

Travelers Insurance has a wealth of helpful information on their website and anyone with an internet connection can access it.  There are several other sites available...some perhaps not so reputable.  I would stick to Insurance companies, and government sites like the CDC  and of course the Department of Homeland Security  and lastly FEMA .

If you don't want to read up, here are a few simple things you can do:

1) Get a couple of gallon jugs of spring water at your next trip to the store.  They are usually less than $1 each.  They suggest a gallon of water per person per day.  
2) Stock up on extra can goods (already cooked) like beans, soup, raviolis, fruit, etc.  The best way is to purchase them with the pull tab tops.
3) Non-electric can opener
4) Portable battery operated radio
5) Batteries
6) Blanket (ideally one for every person in the household)
7) Matches in a zip lock bag
8) First aid kit
9) Flashlight (rechargeable that do not need batteries is best)
10) Dust masks, these are really inexpensive and can be purchased at even the dollar store
11) Baby wipes, garbage bags and twist ties
12) Infant formula, diapers, baby food
13) Prescription medications, vitamins, and glasses
14) Some basic tools, wrench or pliers, screwdriver, hammer, utility knife

Of course there are lots of variations on this and you can find them by checking out the links I provided.
I gathered as much as I could and threw it in a backpack.  Hopefully I will never need to use this in my lifetime, but I am prepared at least for a couple days.

If you have questions or need more information go to www.tiains.com or stop into one of our three locations. We would be happy to print you out a checklist to help you be prepared.



No comments:

Post a Comment